Friday, October 11, 2013

Where I am and where I'm going

Criminal justices, along with the idea of being a police officer, are both things that have interested me since my early childhood years. I am now in my second year in the justice studies program at Methodist University in Fayetteville, North Carolina and ,as I begin to take classes dealing with my major my thoughts of working in the criminal justice field only continue to grow. Before I graduate, Methodist I hope to be able to better understand what this field entails and set more direct goals as I begin thinking about my career options. I am scheduled to graduate in two years and upon graduation I see myself going to the police academy here in Fayetteville and beginning my career as an officer shortly after. I see myself living here for several years and starting a family in my hometown. My whole family lives in Fayetteville and this is the city where I have grown up; and, this is why I plan to stay here and begin my career as an officer as a way to give back to this community that I love. Crime rates here in Fayetteville are really high for cities of this size and I want to help deter crime rates and take the “bad guys” off of the streets. Department rules state that I will have to complete at least two years of patrol, or road duty, to begin applying for various specialized areas of service like SWAT, homicide, etc. By majoring in justice studies and taking the concentration in forensic science minor I hope to expand the many options and opportunities that I will have with Fayetteville PD. I am not sure what areas of the department I would like to begin applying to be a part of at the end of my first two years on patrol, but I plan to make myself available and willing to do anything that may open up. I see myself in five years having applied to be either on SWAT or a homicide detective and hopefully occupying one of those positions. I think that the concentration in forensic science will help enable me to become a detective. Once I work for a few years here in Fayetteville I plan to weigh my options here in the city and begin applying for the North Carolina SBI. There are many opportunities available within the SBI from being a special agent to working for the state’s forensic department. I am hoping that with my forensic science concentration I can possibly get a job in the state crime lab in Raleigh and relocate to the city of Raleigh or Cary. Ten years from now I see myself working with the SBI and having a family living in the central part of the state and working statewide on various crimes. I hope to also around this time begin applying to go to a federal law enforcement position. As of now I am looking into applying to be a special agent either with the FBI, DEA, or the Secret Service. I think that all of these jobs are very important in keeping America safe, nd I hope to be able to hold one of these positions in the future. Twenty years from now I see myself working for the federal government and living wherever that job may take me. I hope to be making great money while loving my job and raising several children. If I am not able to get into a federal law enforcement position I plan to stay in North Carolina and continue to move up within the state SBI. Regardless of the outcome I see myself still having a passion for law enforcement and having a successful career in the Raleigh area. Being a police officer is something that isn’t meant for everyone, but after going on ride alongs, touring police departments and taking justice studies classes at Methodist University I have grown to love this great profession I plan to pursue. I have several successful law enforcement officers in my family and also have several aunts that work for the FBI and DEA. With their help I hope to achieve my ultimate goal of being a federal law enforcement officer and helping make America a safer place to live. I find myself fortunate to be able to attend a great university and be able to help further the law enforcement passion possessed by so many in my family. Though these goals have not been achieved and ultimately could change this is where I see myself going as of right now and these goals are what keep me going on the path to success. Law enforcement is something that America needs in order to be a safe nation and is something that I am glad to be a part of.

1 comment:

  1. Jordan,

    You have a solid sense of where you would like to go. While you have identified specific agencies keep in mind that job opportunities won't always align with your plan. It's a good idea to be prepared to apply at different agencies. Especially if you plan to move to another agency in the future, it won't hurt to apply to as many agencies that might work for your plans.

    In terms of the blog, be sure to divide your writing into paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete